- Hicham Assaoui (email@example.com)
- Coreference assignment, information binding, and the processing of anaphoric constructions among English-Arabic learners.
- Using behavioral and imaging data to differentiate between intralingual and interlingual issues in the processing of pronominal and verbal anaphors.
- Rachel Brown (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Understanding local ambiguities within sentence contexts - behavior and brain reflexes
- Using local disambiguation in contexts to study the semantic/syntax interface in language organization and the nature of associated EEG signals
- Stanley Donahoo (email@example.com)
- Studies in how expectations, pragmatics, discourse, interact with local language processing.
- Placing linguistic behavior and organization in the context of interacting overlapping socio cognitive systems.
- Shannon Grippando (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Contrasting the influence of orthographic units on speech production and brain responses in Japanese and English
- Contrasting effects of alphabetic vs logographic orthographies to explore the impact of learning to read on language organization and behavior.
- Joshua Meyer (email@example.com)
- Creating a computationally usable speech->text system for Kyrgyz.
- Using bootstrapping methods with overlapping known systems to develop speech->text programs for underresourced languages.
- Leah Rice (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Behavioral and EEG study of phrase closure during language comprehension.
- Using behavioral and imaging techniques to differentiate the effects of different kinds of phrases
- Luke Smith (email@example.com)
- Game theoretic analyses of processing semantic scope in sentence representations
- Exploring how many ostensibly syntactic processes can be resolved as interactions with other mental systems.
Lab PhD Alumni, Advisees and Members since 2007
PhD Program in Linguistics
- Shiaohui Chan* – Linguistic Sequencing in the Cortex and Basal Ganglia
- Roeland Hancock*- Dynamic Properties of Dopamine Asymmetry: A Basis for Functional Lateralization
- Scott Jackson* - Information, Truth, Structure, and Sound
- Xienjer Lin* - Grammar and Parsing: A Typological Investigation of Chinese Relative-Clause Processing
- David Medeiros – Economy of Command
- Sunjing Ji* - Sound And Meaning Components During Speech Comprehension Of Mandarin Compounds
PhD Program in Second Language Acquisition and Teaching
- Mahmoud Azaz* - Acquisition of Form-Meaning Mapping in L2 Arabic and English Noun Phrases: A Bidirectional Framework
- Karen Barto - Mandarin Speakers’ Intonation in their L2 English
- Zachary Brooks*- Bilingual decision making: verbal probability, ethics, and cognition
- Jody Cripps* - Case Study on Reading Processes of Signing Deaf Children
- Rachel Kraut - The Development of Second Language Reading and Morphological Processing Skills
- Kara McBride The Effect of Rate of Speech and CALL Design Features on ESL Listening Comprehension and Strategy Use Yasumasa Shigenega* – Canonical comprehension strategies in learners of Japanese
- Elizabeth Specker* - L1/L2 Eye Movement Reading of Closed Captioning: A multimodal analysis of multimodal use
- Clay Williams* - Semantic vs Phonetic Decoding Strategies in non-native Readers of Chinese”
(* marks advisees of Tom Bever)